What are my options for feeding my Pitty?
We’ll let you in straight away on our heads up for the best food for Pitbulls… We vote resoundingly for Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe!
You want the best food for your Pitbull. Is it:
- Home cooked – Tricky to get the balance of all the right nutrients?
- Dry – Convenient and well-researched
- Canned – Gotta love that taste!
- Frozen and Dehydrated – Handy, last for ages, more affordable
- Raw – Nutritious, but pricey
Our Top 5 Picks
- 1. Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe OUR RATING 5 starsClick for price on Amazon / Click for price on Chewy
- 2. Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food for All Ages (for Puppies & Adult Dogs) OUR RATING 4 ½ stars Click for price on Amazon
- 3. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Premium Dry Dog Food OUR RATING 4 ½ stars Click for price on Amazon / Click for price on Chewy
- 4. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food OUR RATING 4 stars Click for price on Amazon / Click for price on Chewy
- 5. Diamond Naturals Adult Real Meat Recipe Premium Dry Dog Food with Real Pasture Raised Lamb Protein OUR RATING 4 stars Click for price on Amazon / Click for price on Chewy
(Our full review is further down. Click on the links above for current prices or to read customer reviews)
What kind of Pitbull Breed is he?
Eg American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog or a Pit Mix?
This will head you in the right direction for giving your Pitbull the best food for her needs.
The Pitbull is from the dog-breed group Terriers, which is a medium-to-large breed, from 30 to 60 pounds plus!
“DID YOU KNOW?”
American Bulldogs can jump in excess of 3 feet (0.91 m) vertically due to their dense muscle build.
- Staffordshire Bull Terriers are rock solid and muscular. Staffies used to be known for fighting, but today they have a reputation for being family-oriented dogs. They’re great with kids.
- American Bulldogs have impressive stamina and strength. They are always game for playtime in the back yard or working in the field.
- The Villalobos Rescue Centre says Pitbull dogs have a very important characteristic – their amazing love of people!!
How active is my dog?
There will be a direct connection between your dog’s activity levels and their energy needs.
- Pitties are typically active. They excel at competitions showing intelligence, training ability and strength.
- The American Bulldog is a working dog … it can work as a hog and cattle catching dog, and a protector of personal property.
What stage of life is she at?
- Is he a frantic puppy…
- a settled adult…
- or a sedentary senior?
Puppies, females with litters, and older dogs will call for a different focus on nutrition. For example, they will need a higher protein intake.
- 110 multiplied by W multiplied by 0.75 kcal per day (where W = bodyweight in kg)
What are the best ingredients to feed my Pitbull?
A balanced amount of protein in the diet benefits muscle tone, skin and coat quality.
“DID YOU KNOW?”
Dogs have sharp teeth and short gastrointestinal tracts, better suited for the consumption of meat than vegetables.
- NATURAL FATS
Healthy natural fats contain Omega fatty acids, essential for a dog’s skin and fur.
- QUALITY CARBOHYDRATES
It’s best to go for high-quality carbs like oatmeal, brown rice, tapioca or barley.
Look for foods rich in antioxidants like colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Be aware that corn, wheat, and soy have been known to cause allergic reactions in Pitbulls such as bloat.
- Watch out for Grain-Free diets that have high amounts of peas, beans, lentils and potatoes.
Recently the FDA began investigating reports of dogs with heart problems. These dogs had been fed a single diet. About 90% of cases were Grain-Free diets, using peas and lentils as the main ingredients.
Potential Allergies in Pitties
- Allergies can be quite common in Pitbulls. This can cause acute irritation and discomfort, and infections can develop. Allergens may include beef, rice, wheat, and corn. Foods with limited ingredients can be useful for your Pitty if that’s the case.
Ingredients to Avoid
By-products are all heavily processed, with who-knows-what in them! A scary thought.
Corn and Grain
Cheap fillers. A recipe for tummy trouble, and can cause dogs to gain weight or even become malnourished.
Before you jump into a grain-free diet
Check out recent reports from the FDA about Grain-Free diets causing possible heart problems in dogs. This is apparently due to the replacement of grains with lots of potatoes, peas, beans or lentils.
Watch out for color, preservatives and flavor additives. They make your kids spin out, it’s the same for your dog!
Decoding Ingredient Lists
- Check out which ingredients are listed first. These are the ones with the highest proportion in the total product.
- Watch out for the generic word “meat”! You want specific words, such as “lamb”, etc.
Aim for Complete and Balanced Nutrition
Check the label for the AAFCO Nutritional Adequacy Statement. And it’s still a good idea to carefully test the product by reading the ingredients list.
OUR PICK OF THE BEST DOG FOODS FOR PITBULLS
We searched the Internet and sorted through stacks of customer reviews just to bring these to you! Here they are…
1. Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe OUR RATING 5 stars
- Excellent whole-food based nutrition. People noticed their dog didn’t need to eat as much as they did with other dog foods and had less poop.
- Owners of Bulldogs reported their dogs ate Ziwi enthusiastically.
- Bulldogs that normally had severe allergies were fine with Ziwi.
- People with senior Pitbulls found Ziwi great for them, and one of the few products they still ate.
- Reviewers said Ziwi gave their Pitbull a beautiful coat.
- “Bambi in a bag”!
- Customers said stool volume was way down
- Some noticed better smelling breath
- Skin was improving, and nibbling and paw chewing was lessening.
- Unlike most Grain-Free dog food products, that are stuffed with cheap fillers like potatoes and legumes (beans and peas)
- One customer stated, “I think the lack of vet bills will cover the food bill”.
- Ziwi can tend to be more expensive than some other dog foods.
- Can have a strong smell
- Some dog owners found that if the packet wasn’t fresh Ziwi could be harder for their dog to chew.
- Venison pieces were reported to be difficult to digest.
- Some customers were shocked by a price increase in venison.
- Some people found the product arrived white-ish, or fine like sand, and were unsure why.
2. Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food For All Ages (For Puppies & Adult Dogs) OUR RATING 4 ½ Stars
- Owners of Pitbulls noticed their dogs were much more defined, healthier and stronger.
- Reviewers commented on muscle development and healthy weight gain.
- Customers with Pitbull puppies were happy with the results of Bully Max as well as with older dogs.
- People reported that their dogs love Bully Max. They could also tell the difference in energy and mood.
- Pitbull owners said Bully Max helped their dog’s skin. They observed a shinier coat, and that their dogs had more focus and drive.
- Dog owners commented that allergies were almost non-existent.
- Can be expensive in comparison, people commented on a recent price hike
- Some reviewers found the bag had stuck together
- Some people had questions about the quality of the animal proteins given the price.
- Chicken ingredients believed to have caused allergic reactions in some dogs.
3. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Premium Dry Dog Food OUR RATING 4 ½ stars
- Owners of Pitbulls found their dogs muscled up, after consistently eating TOTW. Their dogs changed from lying around all day, to becoming more playful and having more energy.
- Customers noticed less allergic reactions in Pitbulls. TOTW kept them rash-free, and patches in the fur started going away. After eating TOTW there was minimal shedding.
- Some reported their Pitty to be now flatulence free.
- Reported to be the closest thing you can feed your pup to a raw diet, without having to deal with raw food.
- The kibble size seemed to be small enough
- Dog owners said their Pitbull ate TOTW eagerly, and had bright shining eyes, and a beautiful coat.
- Stools reported to be solid.
- Most people were happy with the price for the amount.
- Apparently bison and venison in kibble form can be difficult to digest because it has been processed.
- Some owners reported that TOTW gave their dog digestive problems. Their Pitbull started eating grass. This is apparently a sign of gastrointestinal problems and nausea prompted by food.
- There were several complaints about loose stools.
4. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food OUR RATING 4 stars
- Customers said their Bulldog puppy was maintaining a healthy weight on Canin. Their dog was also building good muscle tone.
- Reviewers with Pitbulls stated that Canin was the only dog food that didn’t give allergic reactions. Ear infections cleared up, and scratching and chewing of feet stopped.
- Owners with Bulldogs normally prone to skin problems were fine on Canin.
- Customers said they noticed their Bulldogs had firm stools and less gas
- Reviewers stated their senior Bulldogs enjoyed Canin. Their dogs were in great condition with healthy coats.
- Pitbull owners reported a shiny coat.
- Owners of Bulldogs reported Canin helped digestion even in dogs with sensitive stomachs. Eating Canin stopped vomiting and diarrhea issues that they had experienced with other brands.
- Some customers had questions about the quality of the animal protein ingredients.
- Some reviewers noticed an increase in gas
- Some Bulldogs had allergic reactions
- Chicken in the ingredients can lead to allergic reactions in some Pitbulls
5. Diamond Naturals Adult Real Meat Recipe Premium Dry Dog Food with Real Pasture Raised Lamb Protein OUR RATING 4 stars
- Good quality at a much more reasonable price.
- Customers reported their Pitbull puppy loved it, even as a training treat.
- Regular, less-frequent stools reported by Pitbull owners.
- Reviewers were confident with Natural’s nutritional quality. They compared it favourably with poor quality Grain-Free options.
- Pitbull owners with normally sensitive skin found Naturals to help
- Some Pitbull owners found no side effects in their dogs. They compared it to other products that caused shedding and allergic reactions.
- People with Pitbulls that were sensitive eaters did great on Naturals.
- Pitbulls on Naturals (that normally had allergies) had a clean shiny coat and healthy weight.
- Some customers with Pitbulls eating Naturals reported diarrhea and vomiting.
- Some dog owners noticed stinky breath and bad gas while their dogs were on Naturals.
- Some reviewers were concerned that necessary Taurine levels could be reduced in dogs. This is apparently connected to DCM, a canine heart condition.
- Some people questioned a possible change in Natural’s formulation.
- Some customers said their dogs refused to eat Naturals.
Announcing our winner!
Our clear pick of the best food for Pitbulls is…
Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe OUR RATING 5 stars
Ziwi has our double thumbs up for approval! You really can’t beat Ziwi for superior ingredients. This will benefit your Pitbull’s health and improve his quality of life. Many Pitbulls are prone to allergies, and Ziwi offers simple but excellent ingredients, and wonderful nutrition.
It’s true, you get what you pay for – but as one happy customer said, “I think the lack of vet bills will cover the food bill”! And you get the satisfaction of seeing your Pitty well-nourished, with a beautiful coat and vibrant energy.
At the Tail End…
Check this out!
We think this looks great too – the Bully Max All-in-one Pack (Dog Food & Supplements)
So you’ve got a few options. You’ll see the results of a great diet in your Pitbull’s robust energy, glossy coat, and that spark in his eye!